1) Tell us how you first met? Who what when where why? Give us the dirty details.
- J: I first met Andrew at a slow pitch softball game. Before we had been formally introduced that day, I noticed him sitting next to a girl in a lawn chair. I remember thinking, “What a pale couple.” I later found out that girl was his sister…
2) When did you know he / she was the one? Was there something he / she did?
- J: I remember thinking that Andrew could be the one the first Easter we spent together. My family is very important to me, and the way he fit right in with them made me start thinking that this could be the real deal.
3) Tell us about the proposal (did you see it coming, how long was it in the planning? How did you feel? Nervous, excited, freaking out?)
- J: I didn’t see the proposal coming at all. Andrew walked down the hill at KU last May. After he walked into the stadium and joined the other graduates in his school, he stood up and walked out of the bleachers. I was sitting with both of our families, and no one could figure out where he was going. Then, all of a sudden, he appeared out of nowhere and got down on one knee, holding up a poster that said “Marry Me?” The letters on the poster were spelled out with movie ticket stubs and concert tickets that he had collected during the five years that we were dating. The question mark was our basset hound’s first collar. Everyone started crying. The only person who knew it was coming was my best friend, and she had a camera. The pictures are truly priceless.
- A: It was part of a huge month for us and with both of our families together at the University of Kansas you couldn’t ask for a better time or venue. The hardest part was getting time apart from Justine to create the sign. We are always together so I had to make up elaborate excuses to sneak away. The day of, I kept hinting how I wanted to make sure she was in the stands with both of our families together but she insisted on walking down the hill taking photos of graduation like she was paparazzi stocking me. Eventually she joined them in the stands and after walking through the tunnel I took the sign which had been strapped to my chest all morning and met Kaila who agreed to take photos and keep everything a secret. The reaction from everyone was perfect and even had the entire section of strangers cheering and clapping for us.
4) Tell us the one thing you love most about each other.
- J: I love the way we finish each other’s sentences all the time, or we’ll say the exact same thing at exactly the same time. Sometimes I feel like we’re the same person, and it’s been that way since the very beginning of the relationship when we were basically strangers.
- A: As usual I feel the same way. If I had to come up with a different answer I would say her laugh. Her smile and face when she laughs is priceless.
6) What inspired your décor or theme?
- J: The Jayhawks, of course!
- A: We bleed Crimson and Blue this wasn’t even up for debate ha!
7) What’s one thing you wish you would have known earlier in regards to planning?
- J: Weddings are really expensive haha.
- A: The wedding industry is a multi-billion dollar business and they know how to milk every penny out of a wedding.
Photography | Jerry Wang Photography
Florist | Erin Billingsley
Ceremony Venue | The Oread Hotel, theoread.com
Reception Venue | The Adams Alumni Center,
DJ / Entertainment | John Graham
Catering | Hy-Vee
Cake | Camicakes
Dress Designer | Allure
Dress Salon | Bridal Extraordinaire
Bridesmaid Dresses | David’s Bridal
Groom and Groomsmen Attire | Mia’s Bridal & Tailoring