Photos from Ashley and Garrett’s wedding at Danforth Chapel in Lawrence, Kansas followed by a reception at the Mahaffie Stagecoach farm in Olathe.
Friends and family can view the photos from the wedding here:
Tell us how you first met? Who what when where why? Give us the dirty details.
We first met at “The Banana Stand” aka Jessica’s house. Jessica’s roommate, Chloe, invited some guys over from her engineering classes. Jessica invited me over, where I initially did not want to go until she mentioned that boys would be there. Naturally I was there in 10 minutes. Garrett actually had called dibs on Jessica with his friend Josh, but when I walked in he said he countered his offer. Not sure why since I had super short hair and was dressed in sweats and a puffy vest. I was dressed to work at the dorms at 3am in my defense :). We were all drinking, talking, and having a good time. Later on we decided to go to another mutual friend’s apartment just up the street. Garrett started to drink a lot more and would not stop talking about his ex-girlfriend. I tried to talk about my ex-boyfriend experiences to make him feel better, but he was so drunk he could not stop talking about his ex and his stories. At some point he just became more annoying to me because he was drunk and impossible to talk to. I had to leave for work, so he offered to walk me to my car in a foot of snow. The next day he asked Chloe for my number so he could redeem himself and ask me to dinner.
When did you know he / she was the one? Was there something he / she did?
Ashley: I was intrigued when he picked me up for our first date because he walked me to the passenger side of the truck and opened the door for me. When we arrived at dinner he was nervous of what my reaction would be because we had to wait for dinner for 45 minutes and he couldn’t call ahead for reservations (Free State Brewery). I was hooked, but I would have to say that the first time I actually felt that he was the one was one evening when we were driving back from his parent’s house for the first time. We were riding back listening to music. I leaned over and put my head on his shoulder and held hands. Whether he knew it or not I was smiling.
Garrett: One evening I wasn’t feeling well and Ashley and I were texting. She was getting ready to leave for work when I told her I wasn’t feeling great. Next thing I knew she was standing at the back entrance to Triangle with a bag of things she always has when she is sick. I brought her to the kitchen and was happy that she didn’t run away considering how gross it was down there. She pulled out soup and started microwaving it for me, opened up a box of medicine for me to take, and then poured me a glass of orange juice. After that she quickly left for work.
What is the most memorable date you’ve ever had?
This goes two ways. On our second date we went to Genovese in Lawrence, which was super classy, but so delicious. Garrett still remembers where we sat and what we ate. In terms of a memorable date, that would have to be the time we got pulled over in his truck. We were driving back to Lawrence from his parent’s house one night and got pretty horny. I suggested we pull over to a park. We started going at it and had sex. We finished and as Garrett was pulling his pants up he noticed the three cop cars. We tried to drive away, but then got pulled over. The cop came over and asked us what we were doing there and then asked if we understood that we had just parked in a pretty frequent gay hook up site. He said, “You see those two guys over there handcuffed? They are married, but not to each other.” He took our licenses and as we left Ashley said, “Great…not again…” Garrett was scared/concerned. The cop came back and let us go. (Hey Jerry, you said dirty, so there you go! )
Tell us about the proposal (did you see it coming, how long was it in the planning? How did you feel? Nervous, excited, freaking out?
Garrett and I have been talking to each other about getting married for a while. I had absolutely no idea when he was going to propose, but I knew we wanted to get married. I was getting ready at the guys’ house as everyone else was playing drinking games and hanging out. At some point Garrett had given my ring to one of his buddies to hold on to. When I came out I was helping cook food and drinking with everyone. Garrett and his friends Josh and Matt were getting drunk on my behalf through these drinking games. Throughout the night more people started showing up and every time I put my drink down for a picture I couldn’t find it again. This happened throughout the night, so it was hard to get a buzz going. The only thing I had going for me was my bottle of wine I had stashed in the bathroom as I got ready. We started to head out to The Eldridge because Jessica “claimed” there was a party there that she was shooting for. A pretty clever story that was believable for me. Jessica had previously told everyone at The Eldridge, so they knew to serve me non-alcoholic drinks. As we got closer to midnight Jessica gathered us near the entrance to the bar and started to step back to take a picture as we were counting down from 10. We all had shots in our hands and ready for the big moment. Some point during the countdown, Garrett got down on one knee, which my initial reaction was, “wait how are you going to kiss me at midnight down there?” Garrett said while we are counting down to this new year and starting a new year together, I would like to start the rest of my life with you, will you marry me?
Tell us the one thing you love most about each other.
Ashley: He always knows how to make me smile. On my worst days he knows how to treat me well, make me laugh, and overall feel better. I also love that he sees the good in everyone and thinks in a positive way; he definitely grounds me.
Garrett: We are almost always on the same page about hanging out together, whether it’s going out or staying in. I give her shit about her sweat pants but, I look forward to watching movies with her and hanging out on the couch together.
If you feel comfortable, share with us something silly or quirky the other person does
Garrett: When Ashley falls asleep she twitches, it is so noticeable though she doesn’t think so.
Ashley: When Garrett sings at the top of this lungs, whether it’s in the shower or car; it so high pitched!
Describe the theme or décor for your wedding.
- “Fall in Love”. Our colors are rustic orange, burgundy, and ivory as accent. Everything is fall decorated between pumpkins, leaves, and fall colors.
- The cake has fall leaves and a branch on the cake with owls as our cake topper. Above the cake (on wall) we have a banner that says fall in love. We also have a candy table with all antique glass dishes, with fall themed candy in each. Above that we have another banner that says love is sweet.
- The invitations and programs have a tree with leaves falling down with owls on the branch. Our initials are both on the programs and invitations.
- Our guestbook is a canvas picture that Jessica made with the same look that people can sign each leaf.
- The escort cards are leaves with their names on each that hang from a tree.
- The florist is bringing out a lot of orange and burgundy to match the theme. There are two centerpieces: one is a tall vase with pumpkins at the bottom and branches that fill up throughout the top. The whole vase has water in it and flowers at the top. The second centerpiece is a lantern with pumpkins and gourds in and around with leaves. Behind the head table we have trees with lights wrapped around it.
- The wedding favors are soap in the shape of leaves.
- We will have a table of other wedding photos of our grandparents, parents, and other family members which will be special.
- At the bar we will have 3 signature drinks to match the theme: Charlie Brown’s Great Pumpkin (coffee liqueur/cream based), Caramel Apple Kick (whiskey based), and Scarlet Harvest (orange sorbet and cranberry vodka).
- The venue is all wood with exposed beams and duct work. There are two fireplaces, one inside that will have real wood burning, and the other is outside on the patio (where cocktail hour and the bar will be) that is a fake fire.
Photography | Jerry Wang Photography
Florist | Eco-Posh Events.
Ceremony Venue | Danforth Chapel at The University of Kansas.
Reception Venue | Historic Mahaffie Stage Coach Stop and Farm.
DJ / Entertainment | Encore Elite Entertainment.
Catering | Affordable Elegance Catering.
Cake | Baked Expressions.
Dress Salon | David’s Bridal
Bridesmaid Dresses | Mia’s Bridal and Tailoring
Groom and Groomsmen Attire | Sir Knight Formal Wear
Ceremony String Music: The Oread Strings.
Hair/Makeup (Bridal): Lada Spa (Lawrence, KS)
Hair/Makeup (Bridesmaids): Cachet Cosmetics
Transportation: Kansas City Transportation; Custom Limousine & Trolleys